DuraSpace provides leadership and innovation for open technologies that promote durable, persistent access to digital data. We collaborate with academic, scientific, cultural, technology, and research communities by supporting projects and advancing services to help ensure that current and future generations have access to our collective digital heritage.
Our values are expressed in our tagline: "Working together to provide enduring access to the world’s digital heritage."
DuraSpace-supported open technology projects provide long-term, durable access to and discovery of digital assets. We put together global, strategic collaborations to sustain DSpace and Fedora, two of the most widely-used repository solutions in the world and VIVO, a semantic web platform that enables research discovery. More than eighteen hundred institutions use and help develop our open source software in partnership with DuraSpace. DSpace, Fedora and VIVO are directly supported with in-kind contributions of development resources and financial donations through the DuraSpace Membership Program.
Here is how DuraSpace supports open source projects:
• Executive Leadership The DuraSpace executive team helps plan for success and sustainability of our open source projects, cultivates partnerships with complementary organizations, and identifies grant opportunities and collaborative partners to coordinate grant applications and administration.
• Technical Leadership DuraSpace's dedicated and highly skilled technical staff guides the open source development process by providing leadership, oversight, mentoring, transparent communications, infrastructure, and strategic integrations.
• Community Outreach With a large, vibrant, active user communities for our projects, DuraSpace designs community programs which foster mutually beneficial collaboration and professional development that include fundraising, recruiting Registered Service Providers, establishing community groups, collaborating on organizing relevant events such as user group meetings and Open Repositories, and providing learning opportunities for our project communities to share experiences and expand their knowledge (e.g. curated “Hot Topics” webinar series, E-Science Institute).
• Fundraising DuraSpace coordinates an annual membership campaign that Identifies fundraising goals and target audiences and cultivates and maintains member and prospect contact infomation with the aim of deeply engaging the community in sustaining our open source projects by becoming active stakeholders in the future of our open source projects.
• Community Development by establishing innovative programs foster collaboration and professional development to build capacity in our large and vibrant global user communities.
• Marketing and Communications As a premiere information source within and external to worldwide open technology, preservation, access and discovery communities, DuraSpace staff works with project leadership to foster the exchange of strategic information through our communications network which includes mailing lists (7,000+); monthly newsletters DuraSpace Digest (7,000+), the Member Newsletter (600), the Fedora Newsletter (600), and DuraSpace Informe (350); Twitter feeds (5,000+ followers), and 5 organizational/project web sites.
• Business Administration Under the stewardship of DuraSpace, a not-for-profit organization, the DSpace and Fedora projects receive essential business support including all accounting, payroll, human resources functions, and grant administration.
DuraSpace is your partner in developing innovative solutions to meet today’s access, preservation and discovery challenges. We provide services to the digital preservation community that enable long term access and preservation of your digital assets.
Our services include DuraCloud–an easy and cost effective way to archive, share and manage content in the cloud. With one click multiple copies are created in the cloud in different locations with several providers all while ensuring the health of the content through DuraCloud’s (DuraCloud.org) automated content health checking services.
DSpaceDirect (DSpaceDirect.org) is a low-cost, turnkey hosted repository service that can be used to preserve and provide access to academic faculty and student papers, projects, and research through a DSpace interface.
ArchivesDirect (ArchivesDirect.org) ArchivesDirect is a hosted service offered by DuraSpace in partnership with Artefactual Systems for creating standards-based digital preservation content packages that are archived in secure long-term storage.
We also offer professional development opportunities which include the Hot Topics Community Web Seminar Series and informal, online tutorial sessions.
- DuraSpace 2016-2017 Strategic Summary.pdf
- 2015 DuraSpace Annual Report
- Articles of Incorporation
- Audited Financials
- People - DuraSpace contacts.
- Board of Directors - Read more about the visionary leaders of the DuraSpace organization.
- Membership Program - Find out which organizations are DuraSpace members and how membership dollars benefit the DSpace and Fedora projects.
- Original Moore Grant Proposal (2007) - The proposal for the grant that provided the start-up funding for the not-for-profit organization.