Ithaca, NY DSpace (http://DSpace.org) is an out-of-the-box open source repository software package for creating repositories focused on delivering digital content to end users, and providing a full set of tools for managing and preserving content within the application. DSpace is the most widely-used repository software platform worldwide representing a growing and active user community, with more than 1,200 installed instances. Technically, DSpace is a set of cooperating Java web applications and utility programs that maintain an asset store and an associated metadata store. The web applications provide interfaces for administration, deposit, ingest, search, and access. The asset store is maintained on a file system, or similar storage system. The metadata, including access and configuration information, is stored in a relational database.
Why Use the Latest DSpace Release?
To take full advantage of all current DSpace features including the DSpace Curation System to back up your content to DuraCloud and the iTunes U Media RSS feed plug-in that allows for repository content to be distributed through iTunes U, new users should download DSpace 1.8.2. Overall features include:
• A new set of Curation System Tools and Plug-ins that provide more ways to manage routine content operations on a repository, including running a routine check on a collection to make sure it has the required metadata;
• A Configurable Reviewer Workflow gives repository managers the ability to assign repository content reviews in several ways;
• The DSpace SWORD Client that enables DSpace repositories to push/submit content to other SWORD-enabled repositories; and
• Creative Commons licensing for XMLUI that better integrates the Creative Commons license selection into the content submission process.
The DSpace 1.8.2 release addresses a number of issues that have cropped up since 1.8.0 and 1.8.1 including:
• Several bug fixes to the AIP Backup & Restore tools
• Increase default XMLUI upload limit to 2GB max
• Fix issue with concurrent workflow task claiming in XMLUI
• Additional bug fixes to Discovery & XMLUI
A full list of the resolved issues can be found at:
Installation and Upgrade Instructions
• Installation: https://wiki.duraspace.org/
• Download Release: https://sourceforge.net/